The following was posted on the BHIC Blog.
“NLM & You: The Video:” Contest Winners Announced!
NLM Technical Bulletin, May-Jun 2011
The National Library of Medicine®, the world’s largest medical library and a component of the National Institutes of Health, recently conducted a video contest in which the public was invited to create original short videos, promoting awareness of NLM® products and services. Entries were submitted on YouTube and were then screened by a panel of judges from NLM and NIH.
- Grand prize winner: “James and the Peanut Allergy.” Producer: University of Utah Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library, in collaboration with the Biomedical Informatics Department http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoCAizDEKlM
- First runner-up: “The Fastest Librarian in the West.” Producer: Health Sciences Library and Informatics Center, University of New Mexico http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpYvQAc8e4w
- Second runner-up: ” MedlinePlus: Making a Difference Every Day.” Producer: Schusterman-Benson Library, Oklahoma University at Tulsa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkq2L6q8x3w
Healthflicks is a project to build health literacy among teenage urban audiences that receive the majority of their entertainment though online video repositories such as YouTube or Google videos. Healthflicks will use mentored students to develop and produce web video vignettes on teen health topics, featuring scenarios and scripts created by teens with librarian and educator oversight, with a cohort of authentic and self-motivated teen writers, actors, and production crew and urban new Haven locations. Partners will include The Cushing Whitney Medical Library as grant coordinator, resource for accurate health information, and after-school activity location, Hill Regional Career High School as a source of student participants and actors, and the Office of New Haven and State Affairs at Yale to provide access to Yale and New Haven-based filming locations and advice.
- Searching PubMed for Articles on Health Literacy (aa47.wordpress.com)
- NIH MedlinePlus Magazine Spring 2011 Issue Online (aa47.wordpress.com)
- The Complete Guide To Fair Use & YouTube (socialtimes.com)
- Seth’s Blog: The future of the library (philbradley.typepad.com)