Risk factors for holiday depression
Though the holiday season is joyous for many, it can be depressing for some.
The Cleveland Clinic mentions these risk factors for the holiday blues:
- Connecting the holidays with family problems or painful memories.
- Expecting that you should feel happy.
- Dealing with the loss of a loved one, or spending the holidays away from friends and family.
- Developing unrealistic expectations, or thinking about negative that occurred during the past year.
- Dealing with changes in the family, such as divorce or death.
- Drinking too much alcohol during the holidays.
Staying mentally healthy is not always easy, especially during tough times. Here are some tips that can help:
- Get support from family and friends
- Find time to take care of yourself and relax
- Have a healthy lifestyle, with regular exercise
For more information, visit the MedlinePlus on Mental Health: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/mentalhealth.html [MedlinePlus News]